Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Brayden has turned 15 months!


Somebody is getting into things NOW...he is on the move...Brayden started crawling slowly this week...I'm sure within a week it won't be slow anymore??? Once he catches onto something he sure takes off with it. Our PT today couldn't believe in a weeks time how much he has progressed! YAY! We are so proud of you little buddy.
I just can't believe my little guy is 15 months old...time sure does fly by. These last 15 months have been nothing but pure joy though that is forsure. Brayden has his 15 month check-up with his pediatrician next week, but I am guessing he is weighing about 24 lbs...or more? not sure with his height? can't remember what he was last time...I do have some questions for the ped...I am going to bring up acid reflux...Brayden spits up almost after every bottle, but a good burp full...and occasionally spits up after he eats solids...this isn't so often, except with yogurt. He still isn't the BEST eater, but he is doing ok...he loves eggs, toast, yogurt, mac-n-cheese, chicken noodle soup, grilled cheese, only eats vegetables in disguise, loves all fruit...crackers, puffs, any bread or pasta...He hasn't gotten the hang of drinking out of a cup though...sippy cup NO WAY, and he will occasionally take a few sips of water out of open cup ONLY. His OT though will be helping with this...




I do have a question before I go to our pediatrician next week...I have been noticing so many little ones having sleep studies done. I guess what I am asking is this a standard test that should take place with our little ones? Is is just if they have had a heart procedure? My pediatrician has not mentioned anything about this, not that he may know....so for those of you that know about these, could you give me some hindsight on it? I would appreciate it so much. I don't want to miss anything that should be done. We are seeing his ENT in September just as a follow-up hearing test...he has passed all of them so far, but his ear canals are super small and I know that is common, so they just want to make sure everything is ok again ...he has NOT had a sedated test and I don't know if this is another thing that is highly recommended or only if they haven't passed the other standard tests?
Physical Therapy today...

Brayden worked so hard today...worked on standing, which he LOVES to do 90% of his time if you let him...reaching for toys that were stuck to the mirror, which he LOVED BTW...(gotta find these now!)...foam letters with water...what a great exercise this is for these little ones in PT...showing Sandy his crawling abilities...so impressed today! He did not even try and take a break...usually he slows down at the end of the session, but NOT today! :)




Stretching out for a ONE hour work-out...joint compressions are a must before therapy. I'm not always good about doing this at home, but it totally makes sense to wake up the muscles.

Posing after playing some soccer with Sandy...


This following video is just cute in that he gets the ball and thinks he is hot stuff by twisting his body side to side as if he is saying, "Ha, look at me...I got the ball..."

This is our little guy full of funny faces...He just LOVES the mirrors!

I know I have said this before, but we are just so blessed to have Brayden in our family and I have been so touched by so many of you. I never would of thought that I would have such a strong connection with all my blogging buddies...it is like I have a whole other family! I just love all the kind words and great advice and knowing that we are all here for each other. Knowing that there are so many that know exactly how you feel is amazing! Thanks to all of you!

11 comments:

Denise said...

Yay!!! I am the first commenter for once. I was just on fb and saw that you had a new post so popped on over. WAY TO GO BRAYDEN!!!.....poor mommy!! We want them to crawl so badly and then we instantly regret it:) I love how he and Ella are doing things at almost the same pace. Well, except the eating thing. She wants NOTHING!!!

Cammie Heflin said...

Happy 15 months Brayden!

Derek, Kenzee and Gage said...

Happy 15 months Brayden!! You are just getting so big! I'm so proud of ya! About the reflux thing, I used to feed Gage yogurt every morning and he got to the point where he would spit up about once a day, and I started noticing it was on the days that I fed him yogurt. He hasn't had yogurt for months now and he hasn't spit up at all! Luckily not all dairy does it to him, just the yogurt. I am waiting a while to let him have some again. So maybe it is something he eats that makes him do that? Gage is also on Zantac though, and it works really well for him. He never had really bad reflux, I just got him on it to prevent it so he would do well with feeding. So I don't know if that helps at all with the reflux situation. Sorry to hear about that, no fun! And the sleep study we decided to do because Gage was a snorer. But I think I remember you saying Brayden doesn't snore? You can always ask your ENT, but as far as I know, it isn't something you have to do unless you have concerns. So if for peace of mind you want to have one, then you can go for it! It isn't painful or anything, they just tape a whole bunch of annoying things all over them and then want them to sleep through the night like normal! :) haha Gage actually didn't mind too much, it didn't seem to bother him really. Good luck with everything, keep us updated!!
PS, love the mirror videos, so cute!!

Heidi said...

Way to go Brayden!! I was so excited when Joel started crawling. He is super fast now!

I just love looking at pictures of Brayden and seeing how well he is doing. He is such a cute little boy!

I have been told that as many as 90% of children with Ds have sleep apnea. Usually there are signs to indicate that they have sleep apnea (snoring, funny sleep positions, tired during the day) but sometimes there are no signs. Some people think that all children with Ds should have a sleep study done just in case. I am hesitant to do it with Joel (he doesn't have any signs) but probably will in the near future. I have a friend who's little girl had no signs and ended up having severe sleep apnea. So, you may just want to ask your Pediatrician about it and see what he/she thinks!

I'm so glad the last 15 months have been so great with Brayden! It is so encouraging to hear how much joy he brings into your life!

Monica Crumley said...

Happy 15 Months. Brayden is just so handsome! Love all the photos. For drinking, we had a rough start, too, after nursing, but John Michael really took to smoothies with a straw. They tasted so good, he worked for it. Maybe it's something to try... So glad he's doing well.

Lacey said...

Hi there, its nice to meet you. You need to get that boy a mirror, he loves looking at himself.
The sleep study, if he is a really good sleeper than your probably ok. It wouldn't hurt to have one done though, my pulmonologist said she's never seen a DS kid that hasn't had some form of sleep apnea. So you wouldn't want to miss if his oxygen is dropping when he sleeps.
We are probably coming out to Cali again next month, we are going to get together with Denise, expecially if she doesn't make it here.

Emily said...

Seriously... could he be any cuter?! I LOVE the kiss lips. I know I've said it before, but I do!
Great job on becoming so mobile. What a world of difference it sure makes for our kids! Finally free!
I am glad he is eating so well. So sorry he is still spitting up. I do notice that Justin spits up more with yogurt and ice cream. He just LOVES both of those so much though!
I still want to ask about the sleep study myself. He doesn't snore... but I think I told you while I was in Cali he made some sounds as if he was holding his breath. That scares me. We see the cardiologist next month, so I'll ask her too.
Happy 15 month sweet boy!! Love my blogging buddies so much!

The Hapa Girl said...

Happy 15 Months Brayden!

Well, Lillian had horrible reflux for the longest time. I finally just took her off of milk altogether and she has been drinking rice milk. Works wonders and she is doing terrific! Of course, I have to add extra fats to her diet, but I really don't think she minds!

Also, a lot of people use the honey bear cup with the straw, but I just bought a munchkin cup from Target. It has a soft plastic top so you can pump it to help the liquid rise to the top of the straw to help get things going. It will be so messy, but it helps. Lillian can now use any type of straw cup, but she still dribbles a bit.

I just started doing joint compressions with Lillian. I try to do it daily, but she moves around a lot. So, I just get it in anyway I can.

But the sleep study stuff. Glad you brought that up. I will have to check with her pedi too to see if we need it done. But so far, she's a pretty good sleeper and a light snorer.

Tausha said...

Congrats on being 15 months. Sam has those same Stripped PJ's they are my favorite!! Brayden looks so cute in them. Sam in 12 months and working on the crawling, hopefully we will get there.

Kristin said...

So cool. Way to go Brayden!

Susie Demke said...

Those videos are hilarious. SO cute. I love the face he makes when he puckers up his lips. Priceless.